Sunday, March 29, 2015

March 29, 2015: Smoking Goose Bacon

MY LIFE WITH BACON CONTINUES this week with a review of the Smoking Goose Uncured Applewood Smoked bacon, from Indianapolis, Indiana and some Bacon In the News.

Thought I'd shake it up this week with my bacon review up front, followed by the news section. Feel free to comment on my blog (I get scant few comments but lots of viewers). I'd like to hear from you!


THIS WEEK'S BACON IS SMOKING GOOSE UNCURED APPLEWOOD SMOKED.

I believe I got this bacon at the suggestion of Thomas Parkinson, CEO of PeaPod, with whom I had lunch a while back. Turns out to be a great suggestion. I also got a bunch of Stop 'N Shop bacon, which I'll review in the future.

This bacon weighed in at 11.9 ounces in a 12-ounce package. Post cooking 4.1 ounces and produced 150ml of rendered pig fat. It produced exactly 12 slices - about an ounce a slice pre-cooked.


It had absolutely no aroma/scent at all coming out of the package; very unusual. Upon cooking, it developed a deep, rich color; burgundy-like. This is extreme bacon - very flavorful (4 out of 5), not crispy (2.5) but great succulence (3.5). Overall an outstanding value. Definite re-buy!

BACON IN THE NEWS begins this week with a couple of updates on the crazy lady who allegedly shot a drive-through clerk at McDonalds for not putting bacon on her burger.

Her lawyer says it wasn't the bacon that made her do it.

Comedy Central's new late night show, "The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore" re-enacted the event with a performance that was apparently very funny, albeit not exactly accurate.

Del Ray Beach, Florida, is putting on a Bacon & Bourbon Fest today, if you're in the area. There's still time - you have all day!

No comments:

Post a Comment