Wednesday, January 28, 2015

January 25, 2015: Still No Bacon! More Bacon Crime, and a Recipe

MY LIFE WITH BACON continues this week with gigantic bacon cravings, a very cool recipe for bacon wrapped onion rings, and some serious bacon crime.  

BACON IN THE NEWS 

YES.  Finally, a bacon-wrapped onion ring.  Combining two foods after which I lust in a foodie way. I think I may have to go out and get myself a deep fryer – one of the few kitchen gadgets I currently don’t own.


The author is completely off base, however.  The likelihood of getting diabetes from eating this food is highly unlikely.  It clearly has significantly more FAT and protein than high-insulin-reactive carbohydrates.  I don’t think you can load the rings or the bacon up with enough coating to generate a big insulin spike.  But I could be wrong.


In any event, the picture does look un-appealing.  I think it’s simply the darkness of the batter-coated bacon.  Anyway, if I do make it, I’ll let you know how it turned out.  LINK courtesy of my daughter, Caitlin Murphy and her boyfriend Matt!


MORE BACON BASED CRIME.  Next up is an incredible article about some dumb lady who assaulted the police - with bacon!  I love the announcers who show the police video on this YouTube link.  They introduced it in a funny way "video has surfaced"... SURFACED?  Was it underground?  I wonder how it actually did come to light.

The woman brought in a Dunkin Donuts box.  The announcers rightly point out the irony here.  How better to camouflage something in a police station than to put it in a donut box!  The woman is asked by the policeman behind the desk how he can help her.  She then actually threw the bacon at the cops IN THE POLICE STATION, shouting "I'm here to feed the pigs!!"  So she wants to feed the pigs...with pigs?  A good summary article, in addition to the YouTube video, can be found here.  She was remanded into custody pending a psychological evaluation.

During the event, according to police,
"McNamara then ... began...smearing the greasy meat onto the bulletproof glass."  She clearly has issues.  Later, at her hearing when asked, she said:
"God told me to go over there and feed the pigs."
To all of us who are "sane", poor Lindsay McNamara is most definitely nuts.  Maybe she came to the same conclusion a little later when she had time to think about it.

I thought I'd go see what God told other people to do.

Aside from Abraham, who was tested when God told him to murder his son, there are many tales of evildoers who hear what they think is God's voice in their head - telling them to do unspeakable things.

I found this interesting book... now, I didn't read it, but it does propose an interesting question.

The last part of the title "...and I'm pretty sure I'm not crazy" drives me nuts.  How can people who hear voices in their heads 'discern' who's telling them to do things?  Abraham didn't think he was crazy. What do you think?

BACON CRAVINGS continue for me.  The final week of TheWhole30.com.  It isn't changing my life, probably because I've been on some form of low carb / paleo for a while before trying it.  The hardest things to give up were bacon and alcohol.  I don't care too much about the sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment