Monday, January 12, 2015

January 11, 2014: Beer & Bacon, Whole30 Challenge and Crossfit

MY LIFE WITH BACON continues this week with Beer & Bacon, starting a new eating regime, and CrossFit!

BACON IN THE NEWS 

BEER & BACON AT THE TROP:

A good reason to head back to NJ is the Tropicana's 2015 Bacon and Beer week!  Two of my favorite indulgences paired for the entire week, in Atlantic City.  A quote from the article, worth reading: - a snippet of a discussion between husband and wife who made the trip:

“You can’t pass up beer and bacon,” Tim Marconi said, explaining the basic theory behind the trip.
And what about that theory that January should be the month to get to the gym, not the bar?
“The heck with that,” his wife said firmly, only in slightly stronger terms. “I want bacon.”
Now that's a good wife...
ON TO VEGAN BACON:



As you know, Vegans don't eat Bacon.  The Huffington Post, God bless them, write about bacon frequently.  They posted this about making bacon without bacon!  Interesting; they provide a couple of links to recipes.  Too much sugar for me, but I like the idea!  Pic above is from the post.

CROSSFIT AND WHOLE30:  We started a new eating methodology: www.whole30.com - a somewhat challenging 30-day program to get on a healthier track.  Image not click-able:



The program is essentially paleo - but is extremely strict.  Absolutely no diary, no sugar, and no alcohol for the entire 30 days, along with typical paleo food guidelines.  But no deviation!  I often had blocks of cheddar or cheese sticks for snacks, and the weekend imbibing of wine, beer or a stiff one.  Totally off now!  They say on the site that "it will change your life"... I'm willing to give it 30 days, but the "life changing" effect may only be for folks who have never done low-carb or paleo before.  I don't currently feel any different.



My older son Sam Murphy and I also started CrossFit last week.  Check out the main CrossFit website; we're going to the one in Libertyville, IL - non-clickable image above but here's their website.  Kristen is our main instructor/co-owner/co-founder and is excellent.  It's a very challenging program and they are friendly and supportive.  The workouts are hard.  As is getting up at 4:45 in the morning.  But. I. Need. It.





THIS WEEK’S BACON is not bacon! I had difficulty finding a bacon, either cured or uncured, that does not have sugar in it!  So I didn't cook any bacon this week.  But I did make a great batch of Walter McIlhenny's chili, which was OUTSTANDING.

No comments:

Post a Comment