Monday, November 17, 2014

Novembewr 16, 2014: An NFL game, Pulled Pork, Red Robin



MY LIFE WITH BACON continues this week with a short, late post.  

I had an all-day commitment on Saturday, and on Sunday, attended the Bears-Vikings Game.  Great shot of my 6’ tall son, Jack on the left.  We were absolutely astounded by a surprise fly-over of a B-1 bomber in a fairly heavy snowstorm with low clouds.  Here’s a link to a YouTube video of the flyover.  Unbelievable.  And I don't get surprised often.



I never showed the wonderful pork butt I cooked on my Ugly Drum Smoker.  Here’s the picture!  It was absolutely unbelievably.  The day after Thanksgiving, I will be making a solid 8-pounder for our family.  By far, the must succulent, flavorful pulled pork recipe I’ve ever tasted.  Here's the recipe!  You can really see how the smoke penetrated the meat.  Incredibly succulent.  Sauces another time!

Of course, I ate bacon this week!  On business in Dubuque, Iowa, a nice Mississippi town, my team at NEPS and a valued client had dinner at Caroline’s – a wonderful upscale restaurant with deep, historical roots.  Of course, I asked if they had bacon on the menu.  Who doesn’t?  Turns out that their bacon, from Sysco, was just OK.  A little greasy and less flavorful than I expected (but perfectly acceptable).  I had the steak, which was nearly perfect, and colleagues had other entrees.  The one I wish I selected was the catfish.  It looked great and my new friend loved it.

I also used this recipe to make a Brussels sprouts appetizer.  Cut the sprouts in half, sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Cut in half, then saute on medium-high with chopped garlic until nice & browned but on the outside but hardly cooked on the inside.  At the same time, fry up some bacon but take it off the heat when still limp.  When both ingredients cool. Slip a wooden skewer over the end of a slice of bacon, then put a sprout on it, and alternate.  Cook at 375 for twenty minutes or so.  Great stuff.
 


Finally, Jack and I went to see a movie on Saturday night, and I had a nice burger at Red Robin.  Of course, it had bacon on it!



BACON IN THE NEWS

There are ccertainly some interesting news items involving bacon, but I'll just share one at this point: a recipe.  I am considering this for Thanksgiving Day....

No comments:

Post a Comment