Sunday, October 19, 2014

October 19, 2014: Bacon Prices set to Decline! And Bacon made from Duck?

MY LIFE WITH BACON continues this week with some more good news.

 
Bacon prices have been "set to increase" due to the swine virus - however - the pig population has recovered, and with increased supply, consumer prices are likely going to drop!!  Good article about it here.  We should all be happy; prices are high right now.




Another bacon-themed restaurant announced its opening.  This one is Jethro's BBQ 'n Bacon Bacon in Des Moines.  Looks like great stuff.


HOW ABOUT PICKLED PICKLES AND BACON?  This is a question I pose to my friend Eric Arnson.  Eric makes unbelievably crisp, fresh and flavorful pickle slices, and he is kind enough to hand deliver them to his friends' homes.

I am sad to report that this is my last jar, freshly cracked open.  It won't last long.  My questions for Eric are:  1) how about putting some Nueske's in there next year?  and 2) When is Shed Poker starting?




HOW TO COOK "FLAT" BACON is the subject of this article.  Huffington Post is always good for a bacon story or two.  Interesting, and I will have to try it.  I always thought that you DON'T want perfectly flat bacon - you want the wave shape (see picture toward the end of the article, which is a primer on bacon).  But I'll give it a shot.


A DOZEN BACON FOOD HACKS are listed on this site.  Really, really great stuff.  I like the pancake bacon dippers, but I'll only use Nueske's and some excellent homemade batter for the pancakes.  I'll also try to use paleo-friendly flour and let you know how it goes! #11, Bacon Donuts... you cannot beat Voodoo Doughnuts (left) in this category.


THIS WEEK'S BACON REVIEW isn't really a review of bacon.  It's something called "Duck Bacon".  Huh?  Bacon made from Duck?  The packaging says that it's duck breast.  But the fat strip on along the side of the strip looks like bacon.  There are two different types of meat on each strip: two tones of color, one more reddish than the other.  I WON'T be evaluating turkey bacon or other faux bacon, but thought I'd give duck a try.  After all, if it's good enough for John Madden (see TurDuckEn), then duck is good enough for me.

D'Artagnan Natural and Organic has been around since 1985, and they claim that all the 4-star restaurants in New York City have their products on the menu.  An interesting, high-end website that has a price tag to match.  The products look great, but I can get prime meats locally in Chicago-land at a fraction of the price tag of their online store. 



It's "D'ARTAGNAN Uncured Smoked Duck Bacon" and out of the packaging, it had a gamey smell.  Eight ounces, said the package, and that's exactly what I got.  The instructions said "pan fry on low heat, turning frequently, until desired crispness.  Drain on paper towels"... well, that's pretty much what I do for regular bacon.  Here's a composite shot of the bacon out of the box and during cooking:



The Duck Bacon had minimal shrinkage.  It was very dark, and no matter how much it was cooked, it really didn't crisp up at all.  It had a dry, gamey flavor and was more chewy than expected.  8 oz package cooked down to 3 oz, and produced 30ml of rendered duck fat.

I did cook it in a small amount of bacon fat, so it had a little true bacon flavor.  But overall, I can't call this bacon, or even good. Not recommended unless you are a duck fanatic.

No comments:

Post a Comment