Tuesday, October 6, 2015

October 4, 2015: Bacon Wave Re-Review

MY LIFE WITH BACON continues this week with a re-review of the Bacon WAVE unit. Click that link to see their website.

THE BACON WAVE is a microwave bacon cooker. It's a heavy plastic tray that has vertical slots for the placement of the bacon slices, and comes with plastic rods that you can push through the vertical slices to keep them in place as the cooking commences. I lost or broke the plastic rods almost as soon as I first used them. Bamboo skewers work as a simple substitute.


You can see my bamboo skewer off to the left, and the scissor to snip off the excess.






















Here's the bacon I used: my go-to - Oscar Mayer Center cut. The bacon was a little substandard with a lot of fat in the center... and these were very thin slices.






















Here's the bacon, loaded in the Wave, with the trimmed skewers inserted.






















Cooked. It just didn't crisp up evenly. In fact, only the edge protein portions actually cooked well at all, despite running the microwave longer than recommended. So my use for this will be to pre-cook some bacon for future use; it will still require time in a pan to finish it off. This is not the first time I have tried my bacon wave and got similar results in the past.



I'm thinking that for a few extra minutes and a lot less trouble, baking at 400 degrees for 20 minutes in a foil lined pan is going to be simpler and easier.

Verdict: not worth the purchase; However, I'm going to give it one more try in the future with thicker slices as seen in the video.



No comments:

Post a Comment