Sunday, February 1, 2015

February 1, 2015: More Bacon Crime & Sean Hofherr's Bacon for the Super Bowl!

MY LIFE WITH BACON continues this week with, believe it or not, more bacon crime.  Plus, I finally went off TheWhole30.com program; had some great bacon from Hofherrs!

BACON IN THE NEWS 

ANOTHER DASTARDLY CRIME was committed with bacon last year, and the perpetrator has just been sentenced to 2 ½ years in prison.  A Portland woman, annoyed by her ex-boyfriend whom she let into the house and who was sleeping on the couch, poured a vat of hot bacon grease on him.  The result was serious – 2nd and 3rd degree burns, including skin grafts.

Her attorney, Brian Schmonsees, said that she took a plea deal because she was worried about being found guilty of a higher crime and a stronger sentence.  Brian (who I had to look up because I thought the original story was a scam – it’s not) said “I’m not particularly happy about it.  It’s going to put a good woman in prison.”  He said she was in a “disassociative state” when she did it.  Huh?  Good summary article and video here.  I wonder what happened to the bacon itself?  And why was she cooking it at 3am?


THIS WEEK’S BACON IS FROM THE HOFHERR MEAT COMPANY in Northbrook, IL. 



I visited Hofherr's on Friday to get 2" thick veal shanks for our Saturday night dinner party.  The dinner was excellent, and the shanks top-of-the-line.  You can't go wrong with meat from Sean Hofherr.  While there, Emily reminded me that she read my previous review a few months ago, and that they head a fresh batch of bacon.  I promptly ordered a pound and a half, medium sliced.  



Upon opening, a faint traditional scent water up to my nostrils.  After a month, bacon-free, this was a bacon aphrodisiac.  I let the bacon come to room temperature and placed it on the cold cooking surface (a best practice, as you would know if you're a regular reader).  Cooked it up on medium low, and it was totally nonstick.  This is noteworthy and unprecedented, in my experience. Beautiful slices, classic appearance. It weighed 1.55 lbs, post cooking, 7.3 ounces, producing fully 250ml of rendered fat.



Terrific taste.  Although I cooked it slowly, it was very crispy - just how I like it.  Debbie, however, thought it was too crispy, and my friend Eric would say it was ruined.  Flavor -4/5, crispness, 5/5, succulence 1/5 (almost no fatty succulent parts - unusual).  Overall, excellent classic bacon.  

Enjoy the Super Bowl!  Put some bacon on those nachos!  Next week:  by colleague Bob Wickham will be sending me some scratch-n-snif bacon lottery tickets from New Hampshire!



No comments:

Post a Comment