Sunday, June 1, 2014

Sunday, June 1, 2014: Bacon From Fresh Farms

MY LIFE WITH BACON continues this week with some fresh bacon from Fresh Farms in Niles, IL.




This bacon, from the Fresh Farms market in Niles, IL (a suburb of Chicago) was procured during a lacrosse tryout.  Always on the lookout for a bacon to try, I grabbed this at a fair price. 

It's clearly un- or partially cured bacon.  The label says "skin on", so obviously the rind (or skin) is present - see how wide it is.

I opened the package with great anticipation, which quickly turned into disappointment.  The meat smelled like a pork chop.  I guess I should have expected that.

It cooked without bacon aromas.  Bad sign.  Also didn't shrink.  Also didn't brown properly.  I give it a 0 in every category.  I couldn't even choke down one bite.

Advice:  don't buy completely uncured pork belly like this.  It has to have a different cooking treatment.  My mistake!  I should have known.  But the label says "bacon" - not "raw pork belly".  Oops.

Three-way shot of the cooking process.


No comments:

Post a Comment